Sun has announced that it will be offering approximately $1 million per year in awards to participants of any of several contests. Community involvement in any of the following six open-source initiatives is required:
- GlassFish, Sun's open-source Java EE 5-compilant application server.
- NetBeans, Sun's open-source IDE.
- OpenJDK, the GPL-licensed open-source version of Java SE
- OpenOffice.org, Sun's open-source office productivity suite.
- OpenSolaris, the open-source version of the popular server OS, Sun Solaris.
- OpenSPARC, an open-source community that works on chip design in the open for all to contribute.
Beginning in mid-January 2008, Sun and these open-source communities will announce details on how developers can participate in the individual programs. Each community will have its own contest rules and judging criteria. Prize winners will be announced in August 2008.
Read the complete article by Eric Bruno, Dr. Dobb's Journal.