The OpenDocument XML.org web site is not longer accepting new posts. Information on this page is preserved for legacy purposes only. For current information on ODF, please see the OASIS OpenDocument Technical Committee.
Book page: Submitted by carolgeyer on Tue, 2006-09-05 00:54. Last updated on Mon, 2008-01-21 16:06.
Universites and schools around the world are deploying OpenDocument. If you are aware of additional support in the education community, please add to this page (log in and select the "edit" tab above).
- University of the Philippines
- Parshvanath College of Engineering, Thane, India: "Today, we have over 2,500 users on our network... Using OpenOffice.org, we have saved roughly Rs 70,000."
- Asia School of Arts and Sciences, Philippines. Will start implementing OpenOffice.org beginning schoolyear 2006-07.
- Hong Kong Schools
- University of Melbourne, Australia Distributes OpenOffice CDs to students for free or a minimal charge.
- Handsworth Grammar School, Birmingham, UK - runs a GNU/Linux Thin Client network with OpenOffice as standard - since 2003.
- Ilford Preparatory School, London, UK - runs a Windows network with Open Office as the primary office suite.
- Swadelands School in Kent UK
- Mall School for boys in Richmond, UK
- The Portuguese Ministry of Education has installed 15,000 PCs in 1,000 schools with Linux and OpenOffice.org following an agreement with Sun Microsystems.
- Escola Superior de Educação João de Deus - Lisboa, Portugal
- Hayesbrook School in Tonbridge, Kent, UK - Deployed OpenOffice 2 to over 400 Desktops & Laptops.
- University of Salamanca in Spain
- Brandon Elementary School in Atlanta, Georgia, USA: 250 desktops running OpenOffice.org on K12LTSP. Project began in May, 2005.
- Noxon Schools in Montana, USA: 185 desktops moved to OpenOffice in December 2005. (60 run OOo on Windows, 125 on Linux.) Also summarized on EdTech.
- Earlham College, a Quaker college in Richmond, Indiana, upgraded all of its public computers to OpenOffice at the beginning of 2005.
- Bacone College in Oklahoma.
- SUNY Albany: ResNet, the campus IT services group, provides incoming students with the ResNet Software Suite CD, which includes Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, anti-spyware and anti-virus applications.
- University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy: 268 desktops in summer 2003.
- Public Schools in Portland, Oregon, USA
- The US State of Indiana will deploy up to 300,000 Linspire Linux computers with OpenOffice.org over the next few years: Linspire press release.
- Glenwood School for Boys and Girls, Glenwood, IL, USA: Migrated to OpenOffice.org 2 on over 100 desktops in our Grades 2-8 school in September 2005 (started with beta release), replacing MS Office 2000. Distributed 100 installation CDs to students to take home in December 2005. Have deployed OpenOffice or StarOffice to every computer on our campus, approximately 200 desktops in all. While MS Office is still used by many staff members, this was our first year to use OpenOffice exclusively for our students in the academic program.
- Ontario Ministry of Education
- High Schools in Chile, via Enlaces
- Senai - SC Unidade de Jaraguá do Sul - Santa Catarina - Brazil - OpenOffice.org/BrOffice.org replaced MS-Office in computer labs since 2004